Stuffed Vidalia Onions
Submitted by: Norma Hofmeister, Western Illinois Electrical Coop.
- 4 medium Vidalia onions peeled
- 2 tablespoons oil free Italian dressing
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 2 ounces Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoons parsley minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fine breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut a slice off top and bottom of each onion to make a flat surface, reserving slices. Chop slices into small pieces and set aside.
- Heat pot of water to boiling. Cook onions in boiling water 15-20 minutes – remove center of onions and set onion shell aside to cool.
- Heat together Italian dressing, red pepper, zucchini and chopped onion slices.
- Remove from heat and add Mozzarella, parsley, oregano and enough breadcrumbs to help thicken mixture.
- Fill onion shells with vegetable mixture.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with paprika before serving.
Nutrition information: 52 calories; 1.4g fat; 101mg sodium; 7.5g carbohydrates; 3g protein.