Baked Stuffed Onions
Susie Laing, Eastern Illini Electric Cooperative
- 8 medium-large onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 pound good quality bulk sausage meat
- 1 1/4 cups bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry Madeira
- Scoop out centers of onions leaving a shell 1/4” thick.
- Chop centers. Blanch onion shells in boiling water 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Saute chopped onion in 1/4 cup melted butter until golden.
- Add sausage. Cook until all traces of pink are gone. Remove all fat from pan.
- Add bread crumbs which have been soaked in cream. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Season shells lightly with salt and pepper. Arrange in buttered baking pan.
- Fill with stuffing. Pour broth and Madeira over onions. Dot each one with butter and bring to a boil on top of stove.
- Bake at 350º for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and place in serving dish.
- Reduce liquid by 1/2 and pour over onions. Sprinkle with parsley.