Crockpot Carmelized Onions
Terry Bailey, Clay Electric Cooperative
- Onions (enough to fill your crockpot 1/2-3/4 full) peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Spray crockpot with non-stick spray. Peel and slice enough onions to fill your crockpot 1/2-3/4 full.
- Mix 2 TB melted butter with 1/2 tsp salt. Pour over onions, toss to coat. Cook on low 10 hours. Then set lid ajar and cook 2-3 hours more, stirring occasionally, until onions become jamlike
- Great on burgers, steaks, anything you like with oins. Also, good for a head-start on recipes that contain sauteed onions.
- Refrigerate up to 1 week. Freeze up to 3 months. I freeze in small portions. I line a cookie sheet with wax paper; make small mounds of cooked then chilled onions on the waxed paper lined sheet. Freeze until firm then bag up in freezer bags. Easy to thaw and use a little or a lot!
I sit my crockpot on my deck to cook overnight so I don’t have to smell up the house; then continue for 2-3 hrs with lid ajar the next morning. (I have a 6-quart crockpot)