Susie Laing, Eastern Illini Electric Cooperative
- 1 large Bermuda onion sliced very thin
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans beet consomme undiluted
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 12 Melba rounds garlic-onion flavor preferably
- 6 tablespoons grated Swiss cheese
- Cook onions in butter until golden.
- Add consomme, water, salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour into 6 ramekins that are oven proof. Put 2 slices of Melba toast on each bowl. Sprinkle 1 T. cheese over each bowl.
- Broil until bubbly or put in 375º oven for 30 minutes.