Amazing Vegan Veggie Soup
Submitted by Katie Von Holdener, Clinton County Electric Cooperative Inc.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 carrots diced
- 10 cups water
- 5 vegetable bouillon cubes or equivalent
- 1 15- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup green lentils rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 white potato cubed
- 1 sweet potato cubed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn
- 1 15-ounce can black or kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 2 stalks celery diced
- Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
- Add the cabbage, onion and carrots, and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add water, bouillon, tomatoes, lentils, rice, potatoes and seasonings. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add corn and beans, and simmer 20 minutes longer.
- Add tomato juice or more water for desired consistency. Remove bay leaf, stir in celery, remove from heat and serve.
Nutrition information: 350 calories; 4.2g fat; 435mg salt; 62.1g carbohydrates; 18.3g protein.