Baked Tomato Soup
Submitted by Brenda Carter, Association of Illinois Electric Cooperatives
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tomatoes quartered
- 2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- Dried oregano to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat. Add olive oil and garlic and sauté until the garlic starts to color and become fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the quartered tomatoes and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Once soft, crush tomatoes with the back of a spoon.
- Add the canned tomatoes and break them up with the spoon. Add oregano, salt and pepper and cook 3-5 minutes.
- Cover the Dutch oven and place it in the oven. Bake 1 hour.
- Remove soup from the oven and blend using an immersion blender. Add the can of broth, sugar and bay leaves. Simmer on the stovetop for 15-20 minutes.
- Slowly stir in milk before serving.
Nutrition information: 162 calories; 7.9g fat; 603mg salt; 16.4g carbohydrates; 4.9g protein.