Rustic Fruit and Nut Bread
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup dried fruit we used a mix of raisins, cranberries, cherries and blueberries
- 1 cup chopped nuts (we used a mix of pecans and walnuts)
- 2 cups water
- In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and yeast. Stir in dried fruit and nuts. Add the water and fold the mixture with a spatula until no trace of dry ingredients remain. The dough should be shaggy and sticky. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temperature for 18 hours.
- Place parchment paper on the counter and dust with flour. With wet hands, fold the dough over on itself a few times to release some air. Shape the dough into a round and place it on the parchment paper with the seam side down. Dust top with flour and invert the bowl over the top. Let dough rest for 1 hour.
- Then preheat the oven to 425 F and place an empty Dutch oven inside. Heat it for 30 minutes. Carefully remove the Dutch oven and take off the lid.
- Cut two shallow lines on top of the dough with a serrated knife. Using parchment paper, lift the dough and place it in the pot, paper and all. Cover and return it to the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue baking an additional 15 minutes until top is browned.
- Remove from oven and transfer bread to a rack using the parchment paper and cool for 30 minutes.
Nutrition information: 275 calories; 6.6g fat; 391mg salt; 47g carbohydrates; 7.4g protein.