During these dog days of summer, I don’t feel like eating anything heavy. I crave fresh foods, and farmers’ markets are full of a rainbow of amazing fruits and vegetables that call out to me. Support your local farmers and enjoy a light meal by making salad your entrée. Just grab a fresh baguette from a local bakery and you have a fulfilling meal. Enjoy! ~ Valerie
BLT Salad with Homemade Ranch Dressing
Submitted by: Cheryl Gillespie, Eastern Illini Electric Cooperative
- 8 slices Bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 head romaine lettuce chopped
- 2 cups Grape tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan Cheese
- croutons optional
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- In a jar, mix together all dressing ingredients and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To assemble salad, divide lettuce between four plates.
- Add 1/2 cup grape tomatoes to each salad and sprinkle each with 2 pieces of chopped bacon and Parmesan cheese.
- Drizzle with dressing, add croutons, and serve.
Nutrition information: 459 calories; 34.1g fat; 1347mg sodium; 19g carbohydrates; 20.8g protein.