In the movie Forrest Gump, Forrest’s friend Bubba gives a seemingly never-ending list of all the ways shrimp can be prepared – “you can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it,” and the list continues. We don’t have room for that many preparations, but we think you’ll like the ones submitted.
Rice makes a nice accompaniment to shrimp and is often found in shrimp recipes. The Cahokia Rice mentioned in some of the rice recipes is grown in southern Illinois and is high in protein. Be sure to read the feature to learn more about it.
California Shrimp Salad
- 1 cup mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- Sugar to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 head cabbage shredded
- 1/2 green pepper finely sliced
- 2 ribs celery sliced thin
- 6 ounces black ripe olives sliced
- 1/2 cucumber sliced thin or diced
- 1 pound cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp chopped
- Red onion finely sliced, optional
- Pimentos diced, optional
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce shredded
- Mix together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In large bowl, combine cabbage, green pepper, celery, olives, cucumber, shrimp and onion and/or pimentos, if using. Add most of the dressing and mix.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Add shredded lettuce and mix, adding more dressing if desired. Serve.