In the movie Forrest Gump, Forrest’s friend Bubba gives a seemingly never-ending list of all the ways shrimp can be prepared – “you can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it,” and the list continues. We don’t have room for that many preparations, but we think you’ll like the ones submitted.
Rice makes a nice accompaniment to shrimp and is often found in shrimp recipes. The Cahokia Rice mentioned in some of the rice recipes is grown in southern Illinois and is high in protein. Be sure to read the feature to learn more about it.
Submitted by Madelyn Hill, Egyptian Electric Cooperative Association
- 4 ounces Cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup green onion chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Lemon juice
- 1 can medium shrimp drained
- In a medium bowl with mixer, cream together cream cheese, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Add onion, celery and shrimp. Mix. Chill for at least 1 hour. Serve with Fritos Scoops or crackers.
Nutrition information: 271 calories; 20.3g fat; 706mg sodium; 10.3g carbohydrates, 12.8g protein.