Caramel French Toast
Submitted by: Janice McNeely, Illinois Electric Cooperative
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweet cream salted butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 6 large eggs beaten
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
- 12 slices thick white bread Texas toast
- Combine brown sugar, butter and corn syrup in small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Pour syrup mixture into a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle pecans evenly over syrup mixture.
- Place 6 slices of bread on top of syrup mixture and then place 6 more slices on top of the other slices (12 slices total, 2 pieces deep).
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and cinnamon, stirring until blended. Pour egg mixture evenly over bread slices. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake in preheated oven 40-45 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.
Note: I refrigerate overnight and bake for breakfast. No syrup needed. Invert each piece upon serving. Nutrition information: 676 calories; 36.7g fat; 722mg sodium; 72.2g carbohydrates; 15.9g protein.