Cheesy Italian Tomato Casserole
Submitted by: Dee Hinrichsen, Corn Belt Energy Corporation Servings: 10-12
- 4 to matoes sliced
- 8 cups cubed bread (approximately 16 slices)
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 2 eggs well beaten
- 1/2 cup margarine melted
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a greased 2-1/2-quart baking dish with tomato slices. Don’t use all the slices as some will be used on top of the casserole.
- Combine bread cubes, onion, celery, eggs, margarine, bacon bits, seasonings and 2 cups cheese. Mix well and pour over tomatoes.
- Top with remaining tomato slices and cheese.
- Bake 20 minutes.
Nutrition information: 159 calories; 11.7g fat; 477mg sodium; 6g carbohydrates; 7.5g protein.