Corn and Tomato Casserole
Submitted by: Sarah Cannon, Eastern Illini Electric Cooperative
- 3 strips bacon
- 1/3 cup onion minced
- 3 tablespoons green pepper chopped
- 3 cups corn fresh or frozen
- 2-1/2 cups fresh tomatoes peeled, chopped and drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Fry bacon until crisp. Drain and save drippings in skillet.
- Add onion and green pepper to bacon grease and cook until tender.
- Add corn, brown sugar, salt, pepper, basil and tomatoes. Simmer 10-15 minutes. Add bacon and stir.
- Pour into a greased 1-1/2-quart casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Top with cheese and bake 5 more minutes. Note: tastes best with fresh ingredients but can use canned or frozen vegetables.
Nutrition information: 224 calories; 9.7g fat; 572mg sodium; 26g carbohydrates; 11g protein.