Submitted by: Sherry Reuter, Egyptian Electric Cooperative Association
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes cored and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/3 cup onions diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large baguette thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In bowl, combine diced tomatoes, basil, onion, olive oil, parmesan, a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
- Thinly slice bread and brush lightly with olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake 7-10 minutes until toasted and crispy.
- Slice off the end of the garlic cloves and rub cut end over tops of bread slices to add as much garlic flavor as you prefer.
- Add a spoonful of tomato mixture to each slice of bread.
- Drizzle with a hint of olive oil and serve.
Nutrition information: 321 calories; 3.3g fat; 922mg sodium; 62.5g carbohydrates; 11.1g protein.