Submitted by Toni Hayes, SouthEastern Illinois Electric Cooperative
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- cut into small squares
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange zest. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until it resembles a coarse meal. Stir in dried cranberries and almonds. Make a well in the center of the mixture and add buttermilk. Stir until just combined; do not overmix.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and shape into an 8-inch round. Cut dough into 8 wedges. Place each 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with turbinado sugar.
- Bake until golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Rotate the pan in the oven after 10 minutes. Transfer scones from baking sheet to wire rack to cool.
Nutrition information: 201 calories; 9.1g fat; 228mg salt; 26.6g carbohydrates; 3.8g protein.