It’s time to break out the red, white and blue and celebrate July Fourth! Cookouts and picnics seem to go hand-in-hand with the holiday and everyone has their favorite foods. Rather than stick with the expected burgers and hotdogs, (and there’s nothing wrong with those!) we decided to break out the smoker to celebrate with smoky, finger-lickin’ good meats and summer sides.
Creamy Smoked Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1- 8 oz. pkg. shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1- 8 oz. pkg. shredded Colby jack cheese
- 1- 4 oz. can Chopped green chilies
- salt and pepper
- In a greased 9x13” pan, put the dry macaroni. Melt butter and pour over macaroni. Add cheese (reserve a little to sprinkle on top after done), milk, heavy cream and chilies. Add salt and pepper to taste. Combine.
- Put into a preheated 250 F smoker for about 2 hours.
- Top with reserved cheese. Put under broiler or into oven to brown. For variety, can also add chopped bacon or ham. Adapted from copymethat.com
Nutrition information: 439 calories; 30.6g fat; 373mg sodium; 25.8g carbohydrates; 16.8g protein.