It’s time to break out the red, white and blue and celebrate July Fourth! Cookouts and picnics seem to go hand-in-hand with the holiday and everyone has their favorite foods. Rather than stick with the expected burgers and hotdogs, (and there’s nothing wrong with those!) we decided to break out the smoker to celebrate with smoky, finger-lickin’ good meats and summer sides.
Jalapeno Cilantro Slaw
- 2 cups purple cabbage thinly sliced
- 3 cups green cabbage thinly sliced
- 3 carrots shredded
- 1/4 cup Green onions finely sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro coarsely chipped
- 1 Jalapeno seeds removed, finely diced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic miced
- 1-2 teaspoons honey
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and whisk.
- In large bowl, combine vegetables and mix.
- Pour dressing over top and toss to mix.
- Can be eaten right away or refrigerated until ready to serve.
Nutrition information: 72 calories; 5.7g fat; 18mg sodium; 6.1g carbohydrates; 0.8g protein.