As Illinois Country Living celebrates its 75th year, so do the recipes pages. From the very first issue, recipes and homemaking tips were a part of the magazine. We thought it was only appropriate to go back and include recipes across the years. This month, we have one recipe from each decade including the first recipe from the inaugural issue for rhubarb pie.
Delicious Rhubarb Pie – May 20, 1943
- 1-1/2 T. quick cooking tapioca
- 1-1/3 c. sugar
- 1/4 t. Salt
- 1 t. orange rind grated
- 1 T. butter melted
- 4 c. rhubarb cut
- 1 recipe pie crust
- Combine ingredients and let stand about 15 minutes.
- Line a 9-inch pie plate with pastry rolled 1/8-inch thick, allowing pastry to extend 1-inch beyond edge. Fold back to form standing rim.
- Fill with rhubarb mixture.
- Moisten edge of pastry with cold water, arrange lattice of pastry strips across top. Flute rim with fingers.
- Bake in hot oven (450 degrees F) 15 minutes; then decrease heat to moderate (350 degrees F) and bake 30 minutes longer.