Hot summer days call for a dip in the pool and inviting family and friends for a cookout. Instead of heating up the oven to bake a dessert, consider something cooler –frozen desserts. In the heat of summer, these chilly delights are favorites that hit the spot.
Frozen Pistachio Dessert
Submitted by: Chris Reynolds, Association of Illinois Electric Cooperatives
- 46 Ritz crackers crushed
- 1 stick plus 1 tablespoon butter melted
- 2 small packages sugar-free instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream softened
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Crushed Heath candy bars
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine crushed crackers and melted butter. Press into bottom of 9x13-inch pan and bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- In large bowl, combine pudding mix and milk and beat until very thick. Mix in softened ice cream. Pour over cooled crust and freeze for at least 1-1/2 hours.
- Cover with Cool Whip and sprinkle with crushed Heath bar. Refrigerate or freeze and defrost.