Hot summer days call for a dip in the pool and inviting family and friends for a cookout. Instead of heating up the oven to bake a dessert, consider something cooler –frozen desserts. In the heat of summer, these chilly delights are favorites that hit the spot.
Citrus Vanilla Freeze (GF)
Recipe from Betty Crocker.
- 1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup Pecans finely chopped
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream softened slightly
- 1 quart citrus sherbet softened slightly
- 1 cup Cool Whip
- 1/4 cup Pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line 13x9” pan with foil leaving one-inch overhanging on two opposite sides.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cake mix and pecans.
- With a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- Lightly press in bottom of foil-lined pan.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until set and just beginning to brown. Let cool completely.
- In large bowl, fold sherbet into ice cream just until partially blended for marbled design. Spoon and spread over cooled crust.
- Cover; freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Using foil handles, remove dessert from pan to cutting board 10 minutes before serving. Peel back foil and cut into 15 pieces.
- Top each piece with Cool Whip and sprinkle with pecans.
Nutrition information: 226 calories; 16.6g fat; 94mg sodium; 19.4g carbohydrates; 1.4g protein.