Do you eat gluten-free?
Whether eating gluten-free is a medical necessity, such as those suffering from celiac disease, or a choice, many supermarkets are adding food aisles and freezers dedicated to gluten-free ingredients and prepared foods. Gluten-free pasta, flour, cereals and bread, once only available in specialty stores, can now be found in local grocery stores and varieties continue to grow.
As of August 5, 2014, any food product with a gluten-free label must follow Food and Drug Administration requirements in order to be so labeled. The new standard helps eliminate uncertainty and people can rest easy that the products have met stringent standards.
Hearty Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 T. butter
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1- 12 oz. Green Giant Steamers frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-1/2 c. cut-up cooked chicken
- 1-3/4 c. chicken broth
- 1/4 t. seasoned salt
- 3/4 c. milk
- 3 T. cornstarch
- 3/4 c. Bisquick Gluten Free mix
- 1/2 c. milk
- 1 egg
- 2 T. butter melted
- 1 T. fresh parsley chopped
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender, stirring frequently.
- Stir in vegetables, chicken, chicken broth, salt and thyme and heat to boiling.
- In small bowl, mix 3/4 c. milk and the cornstarch until smooth; stir into chicken mixture. Heat just to boiling and pour into an ungreased 2-qt. casserole.
- In small bowl, stir all topping ingredients except parsley until blended.
- Drop topping mixture by small spoonfuls over chicken mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Bake uncovered 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of topping comes out clean.