Hot summer days call for a dip in the pool and inviting family and friends for a cookout. Instead of heating up the oven to bake a dessert, consider something cooler –frozen desserts. In the heat of summer, these chilly delights are favorites that hit the spot.
Ice Cream Cake
Submitted by: Kathleen Neumann-Maskarinec, McDonough Power Cooperative
- 14 ounces chocolate sandwich cookies crushed
- 1 stick butter melted
- 12 ounces hot fudge ice cream topping
- 48 ounces (1 quart and 1 pint) vanilla ice cream softened
- 3/4 cup Spanish or dry roasted peanuts
- Combine crushed cookies and melted butter, mixing well. Press mixture firmly into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Spread half of hot fudge topping onto cookie crust.
- Spread ice cream on top of fudge layer and sprinkle with half of the peanuts.
- Spread remaining fudge topping over peanuts and sprinkle with remaining peanuts.
- Freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, remove from springform pan and slice in cake wedges.
- Options: prepare using caramel ice cream topping with chopped pecans or use strawberry topping with miniature chocolate chips.
Nutritional information: 701 calories; 37.8g fat; 365mg sodium; 80.1g carbohydrates; 11.2g protein.