Easy Mushroom Soup
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms chopped
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper or to taste
- Sliced sauteed mushrooms for garnish
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large pot such as a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and shallot, cook for 1 minute, until they begin to soften. Add the mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, until tender and browned.
- Transfer all the contents of the pot to a bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter to the pot. Once melted, sprinkle in the flour and whisk it quickly into a paste. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Add the stock a little at a time, whisking out the clumps between each addition. Increase the heat to medium-high and allow the soup to simmer well for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms back to the pot and continue to cook for 2 more minutes. The stock will thicken slightly to be somewhat creamy.
- Let cook for 3 to 4 minutes, then ladle into bowls. Garnish with mushrooms and parsley, if desired.
Nutrition information: 118 calories; 9.2g fat; 755mg sodium; 7.1g carbohydrates; 2.8g protein.