Submitted by Rita Schackmann, Norris Electric Cooperative
- 3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 c. cold water
- 3/4 c. boiling water
- 1-1/2 c. frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 T. Lemon juice
- 1-1/2 t. grated orange peel
- 1-1/2 c. sugar divided
- 2-1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
- Red (2 drops) and yellow (3 drops) food coloring
- 1/2 c. mandarin oranges drained
- In large bowl combine gelatin and cold water; periodically stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add boiling water; stir until gelatin dissolves. Add juices, orange peel and 3/4 c. sugar.
- Set bowl in ice water until mixture is syrupy, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whip cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 3/4 c. sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Don’t overbeat.
- When gelatin mixture begins to thicken, fold in whipped cream and food coloring.
- Lightly coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Pour mixture into pan; chill overnight.
- Just before serving, run a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove sides of pan. Garnish with oranges, cherries and mint leaves in the shape of flowers.
Editor’s note: I did not use the food coloring.