As Illinois Country Living celebrates its 75th year, so do the recipes pages. From the very first issue, recipes and homemaking tips were a part of the magazine. We thought it was only appropriate to go back and include recipes across the years. This month, we have one recipe from each decade including the first recipe from the inaugural issue for rhubarb pie.
Picnic Chicken Salad – 1973
- 2 fryers
- 2 medium Onions (mince one)
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk Celery
- 1 c. Cabbage chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large dill pickle finely chopped
- 3-4 T. capers and liquid
- 3 T. malt vinegar
- 3 T. sour cream
- 6 T. Mayonnaise
- 2 T. Madras curry powder
- 1 or 2 green peppers finely sliced
- salt and pepper
- Poach chicken in 2 cups water.
- Add carrot, whole onion and stalk of celery to water and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken in stock.
- Skin and bone chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine with all other ingredients.