Calling all cookbooks!
Is your church or community organization selling its own unique cookbook filled with favorite recipes of cooks in your area? If so, send your cookbook to Valerie Cheatham, Illinois Country Living, P.O. Box 3787, Springfield, IL 62708. Please include the price of your cookbook plus postage costs and the name, address and telephone numbers (both day and evening) of the cooperative member we should contact for more information.
- 3 dried mild red chilies such as ancho
- 2 lbs. center cut pork loin trimmed of fat and cut into 1-1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lb. Boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into small strips
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 1 onion diced
- 1- 7 oz.can diced green chilies
- 2- 15 oz. cans white hominy rinsed and drained
- 7 garlic cloves minced
- 1 T. Chili powder
- 2 t. dried oregano
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 1 Salt
- Chopped cilantro and/or scallions optional
- Remove the stems from the dried chilies; rinse well and remove seeds. Soak in hot water for 10 minutes to soften. Drain and discard the water. Cut the chilies into strips.
- In a crockpot, mix together pork cubes, chicken pieces, broth, onion, green chilies, hominy, garlic, chili powder, oregano, cumin and salt.
- Tuck red chile strips down into the mixture.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours.
- Serve with chopped cilantro or scallions.