Submitted by: Diane Gibson, Corn Belt Energy Corporation
- Silicone ice cube trays
- Fresh herbs such as chives, sage, rosemary, thyme, etc.
- Good quality extra virgin
- olive oil
- Ziploc freezer bags
- Rinse and completely dry herbs. Remove stems and inedible or damaged parts. Chop herbs to a medium fine consistency.
- Pack herbs into ice cube tray compartments (not so tightly that oil won’t cover all the herbs). No portion of the herbs should be above the rim. Pour olive oil over the herbs to completely cover. Set in freezer.
- When solidified (they will not be frozen) remove from trays and put like kinds in freezer bags and label. Return bags to freezer.
The individual portions may be used in recipes where olive oil is used for cooking. The oil preserves the flavor and texture of the herbs.