The Other White Meat
Considered by some to be the other white meat, lean cuts of pork are low in fat and a naturally high source of protein. In fact, a study conducted by the USDA found pork tenderloin to be more lean than skinless chicken breast. It also contains many essential nutrients and vitamins. Choosing cuts such as the loin or round will provide you with the higher amounts of protein and lower amounts of saturated fat. However you cook it, pork is flavorful and versatile. We suggest you try some of this month’s recipes which use everything from tenderloin and sausage to bacon, ham and more. We think you’ll agree!
Submitted by Christina Goolsby, SouthEastern Illinois Electric Cooperative
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 2-8 oz. pkgs. Cream cheese softened
- 1-10 oz. can Ro-Tel tomatoes (diced with green chilies)
- In a large bowl, place softened cream cheese and Ro-Tel tomatoes (do not drain).
- Brown sausage and drain off grease.
- Add hot meat to bowl, mix together until cheese is “melted.”
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Can serve with your choice of crackers or corn chips.