An apple a day
We don’t know that eating an apple a day keeps the doctor away, as the old adage goes, but apples are delicious and have many health benefits. Illinois is home to numerous apple orchards, from north to south and all points in between, and fall is the perfect time to visit one of them. At some orchards, you can even pick your own. When you do, be sure to grab some extras to try some of these delicious recipes. The warm aromas of apples and cinnamon will fill your home with the fragrances of fall.
Slow Cooker Apple Pie Oatmeal
- 2 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup Brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pinch Salt
- 2 cups oatmeal
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups Water
- Place apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in bottom of slow cooker.
- Add oatmeal, milk and water. Do NOT stir.
- Turn to low and cook 8-9 hours.
- Stir before serving. May top with a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and/or milk before serving. This makes a perfect breakfast for chilly mornings.