An apple a day
We don’t know that eating an apple a day keeps the doctor away, as the old adage goes, but apples are delicious and have many health benefits. Illinois is home to numerous apple orchards, from north to south and all points in between, and fall is the perfect time to visit one of them. At some orchards, you can even pick your own. When you do, be sure to grab some extras to try some of these delicious recipes. The warm aromas of apples and cinnamon will fill your home with the fragrances of fall.
Taffy Apple Pizza
- 1 package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 - 8-ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/2 cup peanuts chopped
- Lemon lime soda
- ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch circle onto a pizza pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cookie is lightly browned.
- Let cool for 10 minutes then loosen cookie from pan. Cool completely.
- Blend peanut butter, cream cheese, brown sugar and vanilla together until smooth. Spread on cooled cookie.
- Peel, core and slice apples. Dip apples in lemon lime soda to prevent browning. Arrange apple slices on cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Heat caramel topping slightly and drizzle over apples. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Cut into pieces and serve.