Spice Cake with Prunes and Pecans
Submitted by Mary Finley, Egyptian Electric Cooperative Association
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup prune puree
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups pecans chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare Bundt pan with butter and flour.
- In a large bowl, beat together the oil, sugar, vanilla, eggs, buttermilk and prune puree. Sift together the flour, spices, salt and baking soda and stir into the wet ingredients. Mix well, then fold in the pecans.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, until a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream or top with whipped cream.
If you cannot find prune puree, blend 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes with 3/4 cup of water. Nutrition information: 469 calories; 22.6g fat; 239mg salt; 65.1g carbohydrates; 5.1g protein.