One of my favorite times of the year is Thanksgiving. I love the savory scents of sage and rosemary as the stuffing is made, the sweet aromas of pumpkin and apple pies as they bake, and the yeasty smell of freshly baked dinner rolls. My mouth is watering already!
Everyone has foods they hope to see on the table and, in my case, I look for a new recipe for everyone to try. The recipes this month include a couple of family favorites, but most just sounded too good not to include. I’m always looking for a different spin on an old favorite, and my taste testers enjoyed every one.
Sweet Potato Crisp
- 40 oz. can cut sweet potatoes
- 1 c. chopped apples
- 2/3 c. cranberries
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. old-fashioned or quick oats
- 3/4 c. Brown sugar
- 1/4 t. Cinnamon
- 8 oz. Cream cheese softened
- 1/3 c. margarine or butter
- 1/4 c. chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sweet potatoes and fruit in a baking dish.
- Stir flour, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon together in a medium bowl; cut in cream cheese and margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over fruit.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until thoroughly heated.