Garden’s bounty – tomatoes
Tomatoes are bountiful in late summer, so we decided to do another “throwback” edition of favorite past recipes using this delicious fruit.
Tomato Basil Tart
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 5-6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and pre-bake pie shell for 7-9 minutes. Remove crust from oven and sprinkle with 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Cool.
- Cut tomatoes into thin slices and let them drain on paper towels. Pat tops dry and then put tomatoes on pie crust to cover.
- Coarsely chop basil and mix remaining ingredients together and spread over tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until top is brown and bubbly.
Nutrition information: 124 calories; 8.1g fat; 215mg sodium; 9.2g carbohydrates; 5g protein.