Tonya’s Yellow Squash Casserole
Submitted by: Tonya Denton, Southern Illinois Electric Cooperative
- 4-6 yellow squash sliced
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast (Use baked chicken or substitute with canned chicken.)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 small can cream of chicken soup undiluted
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 8-ounce cans sliced water chestnuts drained
- 2 4-ounce cans mushrooms optional
- 1 box chicken Stove Top stuffing prepared per package directions
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add sliced squash and onion to a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Return squash and onions to the pot. Add 4 tablespoons butter and Creole seasoning, combine and set aside.
- Combine squash/onion mixture, chicken, soup, sour cream, water chestnuts, mushrooms and cooked stuffing. Mix well.
- Grease 9x13-inch casserole dish and add mixture.
- Bake 1 hour or until top is browned.
Nutrition information: 175 calories; 13.6g fat; 280mg sodium; 9g carbohydrates; 4.9g protein.