The farmer’s market is one of my favorite places during the summer. The brightly colored fruits and vegetables seem to be calling my name as I walk past each booth. And, who can resist a juicy peach, freshly picked sweet corn or a first-of-the-season cantaloupe or watermelon?
This month, Finest Cooking is featuring fresh fruits and vegetables, so head out to your local farmer’s market and support your area growers.
Triple Melon Salad
- 1 c. Water
- 3/4 c. sugar
- 3 T. Lime Juice
- 1-1/2 t. chopped fresh mint
- Pinch Salt
- 5 c. cubed watermelon
- 3 c. cubed cantaloupe
- 3 c. cubed honeydew
- 2 c. peach slices
- 1 c. Fresh blueberries
- Mix first five ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Boil 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and cool.
- Combine fruit in a large bowl; add syrup and stir to coat.
- Cover and chill for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Put salad in a large glass bowl or in a carved out watermelon.