The farmer’s market is one of my favorite places during the summer. The brightly colored fruits and vegetables seem to be calling my name as I walk past each booth. And, who can resist a juicy peach, freshly picked sweet corn or a first-of-the-season cantaloupe or watermelon?
This month, Finest Cooking is featuring fresh fruits and vegetables, so head out to your local farmer’s market and support your area growers.
Fresh Peach Cobbler
- 6 c. peeled sliced peaches
- 2-1/4 c. sugar
- 2-1/4 c. flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1 t. Salt
- 1 c. milk
- 3/4 c. melted unsalted butter
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/4 t. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 t. Cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together peaches, 1-1/4 c. sugar and 1/4 c. flour and pour into 9x13” baking dish.
- Combine 2 c. flour, 1 c. sugar, baking powder and salt.
- With a mixer, add the milk and melted butter and beat until smooth.
- Spoon over the peaches and spread to edge of dish.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon on top.
- Bake about one hour until crust is brown and crisp on the outside and cooked all the way through.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Great with ice cream.