Calling all chocoholics!
Just the mention of chocolate can conjure up images of luscious sweetness slowly melting in our mouths. While chocolate has been around for thousands of years, there is a renewed interest in high-quality, handmade chocolates. Local shops are popping up across the state, and chocolate makes a wonderful
gift for those hard-to-buy-for loved ones or as a house-warming gift.
If you have chocoholics in your family, treat them to one of our chocolate recipes over the holidays.
Chocolate Covered Surprise Cookies
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1-3/4 cups flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon Salt
- 1 jar maraschino cherries reserve juice
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons reserved cherry juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter, constantly scraping. Beat 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla, beat 1 minute.
- Add rest of cookie ingredients (except cherries), beat 2 minutes.
- Make 1-inch balls and place on parchment covered baking sheet. Press 1/2 cherry in each ball. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool completely.
- When cookies are cool, melt together chocolate chips and cherry juice. Frost each cookie.