Recipes from Our Home
Who: Calhoun Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
Cost: $15 includes shipping
Details: soft-backed, comb bound
Pages of recipes: 143
Send checks to: Barb Ledder, Calhoun Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1 Myrtle Ln., Hardin, IL 62047 or call 618-576-2278.
- 5 T. butter or margarine divided
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1 c. half and half
- 4 oz. cream cheese (low-fat is ok)
- 1 sm. onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2-10 oz. pkgs. frozen, chopped spinach thawed
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- Melt 3 T. butter in a 2 qt. saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Slowly whisk in half and half.
- Stir in cream cheese. Increase heat to medium, whisk mixture constantly until thick and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook onions and garlic in remaining butter until transparent. Stir spinach and water into pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Simmer for 8 min. stirring occasionally.
- Stir spinach mixture into creamy mixture and return to medium-high stirring often until warmed through.
- Remove from heat and fold in Parmesan cheese.