Thoughts of red roses, cards filled with undying love, sparkling wine and large heart-shaped boxes full of chocolates – it must be time for Valentine’s Day! According to The Nielsen Company, more than 58 million pounds of chocolate candy will be sold during Valentine’s week. That’s a lot of chocolate!
It only made sense for Finest Cooking to feature chocolate in February. We won’t debate whether white chocolate truly is chocolate, we just know it’s delicious. Here at Illinois Country Living, we enjoyed sampling these sweet treats. There is something for everyone and we hope you enjoy them as much as we did.
Flourless Chocolate Cookies
- 1-1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 lg. egg whites room temp.
- 2 c. powdered sugar
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 t. Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick spray or line with parchment paper.
- Melt 1 cup chocolate chips in microwave for 2 minutes, stirring every minute. Cool slightly.
- Using a mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1 cup sugar. Continue beating until mixture looks like marshmallow cream.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together cocoa, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- On low speed, beat dry ingredients into egg white mixture. Stir in melted chocolate and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Dough will be very stiff.
- Roll into 1 tablespoon balls. You can roll them in additional powdered sugar if desired.
- Place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until puffed and tops are cracked, about 8-10 minutes, but don’t overbake.
- Cool on sheets for 10 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.
Makes 2-3 dozen.