Calling all cookbooks!
Is your church or community organization selling its own unique cookbook filled with favorite recipes of cooks in your area? If so, send your cookbook to Valerie Cheatham, Illinois Country Living, P.O. Box 3787, Springfield, IL 62708. Please include the price of your cookbook plus postage costs and the name, address and telephone numbers (both day and evening) of the cooperative member we should contact for more information.
Fried Green Tomatoes
- 2 med. green tomatoes
- 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 t. water
- 1/4 c. cornmeal
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1/4 t. Salt
- 1/8 t. pepper
- 1/4 t. onion powder
- 1/4 t. oregano
- 1/4 t. dill weed
- Bacon drippings or oil
- Parmesan cheese or ranch dressing optional
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices and place on paper towel to absorb moisture.
- Mix cornmeal, flour and seasonings.
- Dip slices in egg batter, then cornmeal mixture.
- Heat bacon drippings or oil until hot and fry tomatoes until lightly brown, then turn and fry other side. Place on paper towel to absorb excess grease.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese or ranch dressing.