Grilled Chicken and Apple Sandwiches with Sage Pesto
Submitted by: Valerie Cheatham
- 3/4 cup fresh sage leaves lightly packed
- 3/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley leaves packed
- 1 garlic clove
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 rectangular rolls focaccia, ciabatta or French rolls, split horizontally
- 3 medium apples halved, cored and thinly sliced
- In blender or food processor, add sage leaves, nuts, parsley and garlic and process until finely chopped.
- With machine running, add ¾ cup oil and blend until a thick paste forms. Mix in cheese and transfer to small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
- Pound each chicken breast between sheets of waxed paper until about ½-inch thick.
- Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Grill chicken until cooked through.
- Transfer chicken to platter and grill rolls until just beginning to brown.
- Arrange bottom halves of rolls on work surface. Spread each with a bit of mayonnaise.
- Top each with overlapping layer of apples and a chicken breast.
- Drizzle each chicken breast with pesto.
- Spread pesto on cut side of roll tops and place on top of chicken. Serve.
Nutrition information: 508 calories; 39g fat; 90mg sodium; 34.9g carbohydrates, 10.8g protein.