As Illinois Country Living celebrates its 75th year, so do the recipes pages. From the very first issue, recipes and homemaking tips were a part of the magazine. We thought it was only appropriate to go back and include recipes across the years. This month, we have one recipe from each decade including the first recipe from the inaugural issue for rhubarb pie.
Guacamole with Cheese and Chilies – 1993
- 3 ripe medium avaocados seeded, peeled and mashed
- 2 c. (8 oz.) Monterey Jack cheese finely shredded
- 1 med. tomato finely diced
- 1/3 c. onion finely diced
- 1- (4 oz.) can green chilies diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- Cilantro or parsley leaves for garnish
- Combine all ingredients (except cilantro or parsley) in medium bowl; mix until blended.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley leaves.
- Serve with fresh vegetable sticks (such as carrots or jicama) or with tortilla chips.
- Makes approximately 5-1/2 c. guacamole.