Our Favorite Recipes
Who: Co-op Family of Jo-Carroll Energy
Cost: $10, call 800 number below for shipping
Details: hard-backed, ring bound
Pages of recipes: 182
Send checks to: Jo-Carroll Energy, Inc.,
793 US Route 20 West,
P.O. Box 390, Elizabeth, IL 61028
or call 800-858-5522, Ext. 1208.
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 4 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 c. whole milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1-15 oz. Ricotta cheese
- 1-10 oz. pkg. frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 c. plus 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 lb. ground beef or sausage browned
- 1 lg. egg beaten
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1-2 T. olive oil
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 2 c. Marinara sauce
- 1 c. (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese
- For sauce, melt butter in saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the flour and whisk for 3 minutes. Whisk in milk. Increase the heat to medium-high. Whisk the sauce until it comes to a simmer and is thick and smooth, about 3 min. Whisk in the salt, pepper and nutmeg (if desired).
- For lasagna, preheat oven to 450 degrees. Whisk the ricotta, spinach, 1 c. Parmesan, ground beef, egg, salt and pepper in a medium bowl to blend.
- Add a tablespoon or two of oil to pot of boiling water and boil the noodles till al dente. Drain.
- Arrange the noodles in a single layer on a baking sheet to prevent them from sticking.
- Butter a 13x9x2" baking dish. Pour the béchamel sauce over the bottom of the prepared dish. Lay out 4 lasagna noodles on a work surface, then spread a large spoonful (about 3 T.) of ricotta mixture evenly over each noodle. Starting at one end, roll each noodle like a jelly roll. Lay each roll in pan seam side down without touching. Repeat with other noodles.
- Spoon 1 cup of marinara sauce over the lasagna rolls. Sprinkle with mozzarella and remaining 2 T. Parmesan cheese. Cover tightly with foil and bake until heated through and the sauce bubbles, about 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until the cheese on top becomes golden, about 15 min. longer. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining marinara sauce to serve alongside.