School has started and with that comes many activities that go along with it. Families are busy, and it becomes increasingly difficult to put a hot meal on the table each evening. Instead of going through the drive-up window and busting your food budget, consider taking a bit of time to make freezer meals. They are economical, nutritious and easy to prepare.
When preparing the meals, you may want to have a supply of gallon-sized plastic freezer bags and disposable foil pans. Another handy tip is to get some crockpot liners, which make for easy cleanup.
Put the name of the recipe, date you prepared it, and any pertinent directions on the outside of the container. All you need to do is pour it into your crockpot, or put into a hot oven, and dinner will be ready. How easy is that?
Mexican Black Bean Chili
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 sm. yellow onion peeled and chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium green bell pepper chopped
- 1 c. frozen corn
- 2- 14 oz. cans Black beans
- 28 oz. Tomato sauce
- 1 taco seasoning packet
- 1 gallon-sized plastic freezer bag
- Label your freezer bag.
- Add all ingredients to bag and remove as much air as possible.
- Seal and freeze for up to three months.
- Thaw in refrigerator and add to crockpot.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Break apart beef.
- Serve with shredded cheese and chips.