Multigrain Salad Over Greens
- 4 teaspoons canola oil divided
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1 large leek thinly sliced
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins or dried currants
- 1/4 cup bulgur wheat
- 1/3 cup cup sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black pepper
- Mixed salad greens
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Parmesan shreds for garnish
- Place 2 teaspoons of canola oil and butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When butter has melted, add leeks and cook 4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add stock, pearl barley and brown rice. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer.
- Cook 35 minutes, then stir in raisins and bulgur. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, place remaining canola oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add sunflower seeds and saute 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When the bulgur is tender, remove from heat and stir in sunflower seeds, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Serve over mixed salad greens and drizzle the top with olive oil. Garnish with Parmesan if desired and serve.
Note: if desired, add slices of roasted chicken or grilled fish to the salad. Nutrition information: 215 calories; 8.4g fat; 47mg sodium; 32g carbohydrates; 4.5g protein. Photo courtesy of Robin Conover, The Tennessee Magazine