St. Paul Lutheran Church Cookbook
Who: St. Paul Lutheran Church
Cost: $18.80 includes shipping
Details: Hard-backed, ring bound
Pages of recipes: 205
Send checks to: St. Paul Lutheran Church,
Attn: Nina Hubert, 116 N. Thomas St., Gilman, IL 60938
or call 815-265-4837.
Pennsylvania Dutch Green Beans
- 1 lb. fresh green beans cut into short lengths and cooked
- 6 slices Bacon
- 2 med. Onions chopped
- 4 t. cornstarch
- 1 t. Salt
- 1/2 t. dry mustard
- 1 T. Brown sugar
- 2 T. Vinegar
- Drain beans and reserve 1 cup of the water beans were cooked in. Set aside.
- Fry bacon until crisp and drain on paper towel.
- Sauté onions in bacon fat until golden brown.
- In small bowl, mix cornstarch, salt, mustard, brown sugar and vinegar.
- Add cup of reserved water from beans and beat until smooth, then add mixture to bacon fat and onions in pan and boil until thickened slightly.
- Add beans and stir well.
- Crush bacon and sprinkle on top. Serves 8.