Submitted by Lynn Kaufman, Jo-Carroll Energy
Servings 25 1-inch squares
- 1/2 c. white corn syrup
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. peanut butter
- 3 c. crispy rice cereal
- 1/2 c. chocolate chips milk or semi-sweet
- 1/2 c. butterscotch chips
- Line an 8-inch square pan with aluminum foil and lightly butter, to ease the process of removing the bars from the pan. Set the pan aside.
- In a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat, place corn syrup and granulated sugar and stir using a rubber spatula. This step is the most important one!
- Heat the sugar syrup slowly until it becomes clear and the edges just start to bubble, about 3-5 minutes. Don’t rush the sugar heating process or the bars will be hard when they cool.
- When the mixture starts to bubble, turn off heat. Add peanut butter and stir until smooth.
- Add rice cereal and stir carefully until evenly coated.
- Place cereal mixture into buttered pan. Press evenly.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, place chocolate and butterscotch chips and stir to combine. Heat chips for 20-30 second increments, stirring between each increment until chips are smooth.
- Pour on top of cereal bars and spread to evenly coat. Allow to cool for 30-60 minutes before cutting.
- When cool, lift foil out of pan and carefully peel away from bars. Cut into small squares and serve.
Nutrition information per serving: 118 calories; 4g fat; 74mg sodium; 20g carbohydrates; 1.7g protein.