While the sled ride in the movie Christmas Vacation may have been funny, sledding safely is no laughing matter. Be sure your children know to dress warmly with gloves and boots and wear a helmet to prevent head injuries (bike helmets work well).
Tips for safe sledding include:
- Children should always be supervised by an adult.
- Avoid areas with trees, fences and light poles.
- Always go down the hill feet first.
- Know how to stop or turn the sled using your feet.
- Do not sled on a street or highway.
- NEVER ride a sled being pulled by a car, ATV or other motorized vehicle.
- Avoid hills, driveways or slopes that end in a street or pond.
- Choose hills that are snowy, not icy.
- Keep hands and feet inside the sled.
Source: Nationwide Children’s Hospital