Slow Cooker Pinto Beans and Ham Hocks
Submitted by Christina Goolsby, SouthEastern Illinois Electric Cooperative
- Slow cooker
- 1 large ham hock or 2 ham shanks
- 1/2 pound pinto beans dry
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Put the ham hocks/shanks, beans, water, salt and pepper in the slow cooker.
- Put the lid on and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Remove the ham hocks/shanks and remove and discard skin. Take the meat off the bone and shred it with two forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker and continue cooking for 1 hour.
Note: Keep the lid on the slow cooker at all times except when removing and returning the ham to the pot. Nutrition information: 510 calories; 27.7g fat; 2,206mg salt; 33.3g carbohydrates; 33.8g protein.