Around the holidays, my family loves to try out new appetizers. We have even been known to make a meal out of them on New Year’s Day. Regardless of when you eat them, it’s nice to have a few quick, go-to ideas when company is coming, or you just want to serve a snack to whet the appetites before your Christmas dinner. I think you’ll enjoy them all and many can be made ahead of the big day, leaving you more time with family and friends.
Smokey Sweet Potato Bites
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 T. Olive or vegetable oil
- 1 lb Smoked sausage
- Your favorite BBQ sauce
- In a skillet, heat oil and add sweet potato cubes.
- Season with salt, pepper and a bit of oregano.
- While potatoes are frying, slice sausage into disks the thickness you prefer.
- When the potatoes are almost tender, add the sausage and allow it to heat through and lightly brown. Remove pan from heat.
- Using toothpicks, thread on a piece of potato, then sausage, and another potato cube. Arrange on a tray.
- Drizzle with your favorite BBQ sauce.
- Other options: sprinkle with goat cheese crumbles or drizzle with maple syrup. I recommend you get a maple-smoked sausage if you use this option.